Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Welcome Baby Micah!!

So, I ain't preggo any more - woohoo! We made it! After much effort to self-induce - we succeeded and met our goal of having Chuperman meet Micah before Chuperman left THIS very morning to head out to NYC for residency. Good thing Micah was delivered 7 days ago so that Chuperman could meet Chuperbebe #2 and have a few days to bond together. Phew!

*WARNING: SLIGHTLY GRAPHIC MATERIAL*

Tiramesu's L&D experience of #2 Chuperbebe:

Let's get to a timeline. Last Tuesday, I felt very desperate and frustrated that I wasn't feeling any real contractions, afterall, we obviously wanted Chuperman to be at the birth before he flew off to NY. So I decided to do JUMPING JACKS. Yup, I did about 30 jumping jacks to help kick-start contractions.

And sure enough later on that night at 2:45AM, Wednesday, June 17, Chuperman and I heard a loud snap or twang - really sounded like someone plucking a violin string "D" note to be exact, to signify that my water broke! I quickly waddled to the bathroom and changed into Depends (hahaa). Since I have a history of having my water break out of nowhere, I thought I'd better be prepared this time and sure enough these senior citizen diapers were quite useful. Especially on the car -ride to the hospital where water kept on gushing out! I also had 2 beachtowels layed out beforehand on the passenger seat for this very reason.

After my water broke, I immediately started to feel very queasy, but excited and happy that God answered our prayers of having our baby's birth day come early!. Contractions at 4-5 minute intervals took over the next few hours until about 5am where I quickly broke down and got an epidural, which btw, HURT this time. The anestheiologist used a courser more old school way of injected me with anestheia - she pumped 5 different installments into my back - i felt each one of the installments - each one had an acute/burning sensation (ouch!). Luckily shortly after the epidural was administered I was able to breath happily...

Pre-epidural words to Chuperman:

Stop talking, don't touch me, I hate you right now!

Post-epidural words to Chuperman:

I'm soo glad you're here (and not in NY). I love you.

At 6am, I was ready to push but we were waiting for the OB to get to the hospital. My OB finally got to the hospital at around 6:45am. The doc instructed an unassuming Chuperman to gown up, wear a mask/ face shield, and deliver our baby! Chuperman was caught off guard I think b/c he was ready with his big SLR to take pix of the action. Instead, he had to put down his camera and he actually delivered the baby! Chuperman helped to rotate Micah's head and pull out the body, then hand him off to me! But the downside was that no pix were taken of him delivering the baby b/c my mom didn't know how to switch from video to still photo on my point on shoot.

So after a few pushes, Micah came into the world, all 8 lbs 5 oz and 20", at 7:18am, Wednesday, June 17, 2009!

Because my L&D was so quick, my contractions were actually pushing Micah out without me having to push. Thus unfortunately, Micah sustained some bruising and hemorrhaging in his eyes. His skin is normalizing as we speak, although he has a lil bit of jaundice - so I have to take him to his ped tomorrow.

I also want to add that the anestheiologist shot me up with too much pain medication. I couldn't feel any pressure while I was pushing, thus making it hard to push. I liked my anestheiologist for Jacob's delivery MUCH better. He injected my epidural in a slower, less painful manner, and I could feel the pressure during pushing, thus making it easier to push.

We are elated that Micah's birth day came early so that Micah and Chuperman could meet each other! We feel so blessed with our new bundle of joy. Even though nursing a newborn is quite laborious (and is kicking my butt), looking into Micah's face is like falling in love again. :)

So far Micah is a pretty good feeder and sleeper for a 7 day old newborn. He sleeps every 1.5 - 5 hours. Micah let mommy and daddy "sleep-in" on Father's day which was nice of him. Micah's version of letting us sleep-in on Saturday night were feeding at 9:15pm, midnight, 5am, 9:30am. Each feeding takes me an hour (sometimes 1.5hrs including clean-up, etc) b/c Micah is still sleepy, then of course diaper changes, and I also have to pump since I have an oversupply of milk again, then wash all the pumping apparatus.

The 2nd time around of L&D overall was MUCH EASIER than the 1st time around for me. Even recovery is a lot swifter this time around. I can see how other mom's can have multiple kids. It does get easier, but tricky with a toddler around.

HAPPY FATHER's DAY CHUPERMAN! You're the BEST DAD in the WHOLE WORLD!!

In the middle of the night, Chuperman would still help me with changing Micah's diaper, burping, swaddling, and comforting our new baby even though he was tired from packing and from Jacob being ultra clingy to him. Thanks Chuperman for being our hero!

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs089.snc1/5083_91707153502_713423502_1842451_158849_n.jpg


Welcome home Micah! Thank you Micah and thank you God for having your birth day land on a perfect day and according to mommy and daddy's crazy schedule!

7 comments:

Tif Sweeney said...

Congratulations!!! I'm so glad that he arrived before your hubby headed off to residency!!! You have such a beautiful family!!

Tammy said...

Congratulations, my dear! I am so happy for you! Your baby is so beautiful! xoxo

Josephine said...

Congratulations again! Wow, Chuperman must feel even more fatherly to have delivered Micah! =)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Michelle & Isaac! It's great to hear that the timing worked out!

Annie said...

congratulations michelle and isaac! can't wait to meet micah!

bikingmama said...

awww....so happy for you! great story! when r u heading out to NY? is anyone helping you right now?

tiramesu82 said...

thx everyone for the well wishes! i must say that it's great to meet micah (and not being preggo anymore) but it really sux that chuperman ain't here. the good news is that he'll be able to visit for a few days in july.

MJ- i am lucky to be living with my parents and i have a nanny that help out as well (since my mom works full-time). i won't be this lucky when we move 8-18!

for now, im under 1 month Chinese confinement = SUX!