Thursday, October 4, 2007

Glucose Test Results

...sigh... as predicted, I FAILED the 1-hour glucose test. It is true - from the very start of the pregnancy, I had gestational diabetes just like my momma did. It was so high that the OB's wife, which is a nurse, called me this morning from her own cell to personally tell me the news. Sheeeit, I knew I was in trouble when I heard her voice. She said, "Michelle, your glucose levels are very high. You now have to take the 3-hour glucose tolerance test". I was like, "how high?"- OB's wife said "192". JUST FABULOUS. I asked her what the cut-off was - she said my levels had to be below 130. Wow, talk about way-off. Sheeit! Initially when I took the frickin' test at week 4, I was at 211, which is considered diabetic. I thought my glucose levels would go down a lot more than that! I mean, come on! I've only gained like 12 lbs and I'm almost in my 3rd frickin' trimester, I take frickin' prenatal yoga, go on walks, been on a frickin' protein diet (with occassional desserts for special celebrations like bdays), and the other day a stranger randomly came up to me saying that "you're the most attractive pregnant lady I've ever seen"haha.

Anyway, before I took my 1-hr glucose test last Friday, Chuperman and I had a pool to see where my glucose levels would come in. Chuperman was super nice and said 90. Sweet man. I knew I'd fail and guestimated 140. But 192, that's just insane.

The OB's wife wanted to fax me the doc's referral for 3 hr glucose test today. I was like, hold up! I can wait to take the damn test until after I actually meet and discuss my results with my OB next Wednesday.

My mom tried to comfort me in saying that she too was called out for her high glucose levels when pregnant with my bro. Only, back then, instead of a 3 hr glucose test, she had to take an EIGHT hour glucose test haha. She told me just not to worry about it and to see if I could skip taking the dreaded 3 hr glucose test. "Michelle, just don't take the 3-hr glucose test! Don't do it!" haha. Gotta love her. But she does have a point kind of, even if I do fail the 3 hr glucose test, what will that practically mean?! I live a healthy lifestyle and am of healthy weight (not overweight) - what else can I do? It's the damn genes!!!

On top of all this glucose test crap, my head is spinning from Baby's R Us registry sensory overload. I wish I could sink my teeth into a red velvet cupcake... =( =( =(

2 comments:

Josephine said...

don't worry, i have diabetes in my genes too. hopefully the diabetes will go away after your pregnancy. you live such a healthy lifestyle, i'm sure it will!

you know what really helped me narrow down the BRU registry is the Baby Bargains book. It's more updated than Consumer Reports and it provides a lot of info and parental ratings on each and every product. worth checking out!

mefull said...

you are indeed an attractive pregnant lady! don't worry - just be careful and i'm sure the diabetes will go away after your piggie is born. you and hammie will be wonderfully healthy!