Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Parisian macaroons in the Slope!! =D

I finally had a chance to explore our neighborhood after over 3 months of living here! haha. I am sooOOoo happy to announce that today, while meandering through Park Slope (aka "the Slope"), I stumbled upon TWO hidden European bakeries that serve *MACAROONS*.

Almondine Bakery
I was with my girlfriend and I fortuitously spotted Almondine Bakery while walking down a row of brownstones. It was a super late lunch/early dinner/snack (at 4pm haha). I quickly ordered a ham/emmental quiche, black currant macaroon, and a rocher (giant hazelnut truffle.. kind of like ferrero rocher but bigger and badder).

The quiche was delicious -- tasted just like what we had in Paris! In fact, the pastry chef and cashier checker are French - that is authentic enough for me:P It was so tasty that I had to get a slice for Chuperman to try as well. He loved it. Unfortunately, Chuperman has come down with a nasty cold. He has been coughing and coughing and coughing... hope he gets better ASAP, esp since my parents are flying in tomorrow night for Thxgiving!

So back to Almondine... the black currant macaroon was delightful. Ok, wasn't as good as say La Duree of Paris but really good for it being a different continent. My friend got the lemon macaroon and she loved it.

The rocher was insane. Hard to pick out of the 3, what my favorite snack was haha... life is rough..

So I felt pretty guilty after a calorie-laden splurge of a snack... so to make myself feel better, I traversed the brownstone lined streets of Park Slope, wondering (not wishing tho) what it would be like to live in a brownstone. Even though living in a brownstone is the ultimate dream that many new yorkers share, especially in Park Slope - coming from OC, I just can't see myself living in a brownstone, indefinitely, with kids and a car. Don't get me wrong, I love the beautiful historic architecture and the charm of old new york brownstones, but I just can't stomach all of those stairs up to the front door. With a double stroller or carrying bags and bags of groceries, this would be a nightmare. Also, brownstones don't typically come with attached garages. So, you pay like $5M (especially if you renovate - im making up the figure, but u get the idea) for a brownstone and you still have to park your car on the street, that's IF you can find a parking spot. I really don't think that's worth it. That is why car service is very popular for brownstoners. Also, I heard that some brownstoners also have butlers! now that is old school.

Zana Cafe
SO anyway, walking back home I stumbled upon yet another bakery that serves macaroons!! This one is totally under the radar. They don't even have a website nor is it yelp-reviewed. Enter "Zana Cafe". Apparently, Zana Cafe was a result of a bitter divorce. A couple that had a Parisian bakery in the Slope got divorced, then the wife went and opened Zana Cafe. So the bottom line is that Zana cafe has MACAROONS! And they are quite tasty as well. I also got a few dark choc lacey almond cookies and a fudge walnut brownie. In all fairness, I was thirsty and got a diet ginger ale to counteract my ridiculous sweet-tooth hahaa... I should really go back and take pix of this place and be the first to post on yelp!!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!! May you and your loved ones be blessed abundantly during this Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

Felix said...

Tiramesu & Chuperman, hope you guys had a great Thanksgiving. Enjoy NY and all the great food and restaurants! I'm sure it's better than eating at BJ's, Cheesecake, and Macaroni Grill all the time...